Dan Lawson’s Place is the second oldest of the historic cabins that remain standing in Cades Cove. Built around 1840, this was the home of the cove’s wealthiest resident. Only the John Oliver cabin (1822), home of the cove’s first European settler, is older than this one.
Cades Cove was first settled during the 1700’s by Cherokee Indians and is named after a Chief Kade. The first European settlers came during the 1800’s eventually reaching a population of 671 around 1850.
In the 1920’s the residents were forced out when the State of Tennessee gave the Park Commission power to seize the cove properties and make them part of the National Park system.
Vanguard Altra Pro 263 AT tripod
Tamron SP 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC
22mm @ f/10 – 1/50 sec – ISO 100