The home of the Morgan County Historical Society, known as Heritage Hall, is one of the most striking antebellum homes on Madison’s main street.
From the historical marker in front of this house:
As the county gained more plantations, Madison attracted nearby planters desiring to shop, socialize, learn, and worship. Some planters also built in-town homes. Antebellum architecture reflected the shift from the early yeoman farmer society to a slave-based plantation economy, dominated by a handful of planters whose grand homes spoke of their status.
Antebellum architecture also marked the community’s growing prosperity as well as an interest in the newly fashionable Greek Revival architecture. Stylish homes were added and older homes updated throughout the city environs, building a reputation of a progressive and cultured town.
The Johnston-Jones-Manley House (c.1811) acquired its later Greek Revival façade during the 1840-1850s and was moved 200 feet to face S. Main Street in 1908, thus allowing the construction of the Methodist Church (1914). In 1977, a Manley heir donated the home to the Morgan County Historical Society, Inc., who manages it as a heritage tourism site-Heritage Hall, a house museum with period furnishings.
Johnston-Jones-Manley House (circa 1811)
277 South Main Street
Tamron SP 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II
24mm @ f/16 – 1/80 sec – ISO 100